Sunday 8 June 2008

Avalanche: Buried alive in the beautiful blues of the world.















Old Tecumseh knew what he was talking about and most things worth a damn require an incredible attention to detail, effort and risk. Thus I never complain on set where life often revolves around lunch.


“Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act”. Truman Capote.

Dear sports, as per usual, I’ve been doing too much, or more accurately attempting too many bloody things, and everything just a step away, an inch from recognition, freedom, money, creativity, God even. No, really. So basically, I’m one of those creeps that are protesting they are so sickeningly busy and yet are anonymous.

Colonel Neville: “Oh, let me check my diary! Oh, I see I’m washing my genitals that night, so I’ll have to say no!”

If only I could succeed at one of ‘em, eh? I mean, really succeed at the doing. Well, I do, but still no dice. What a sap! If it wasn’t for failure, I wouldn’t have any success at all... And that’s the thing; there’s such a lot of everything about. And I’d hate to be deluded and a bore, but then, my university days are over. Don’t cha ever feel there’s just too much to keep a track of? I mean really...

“Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves”. Rudyard Kipling.

Also, I may have met the fellow who could be a sidekick for um, some kind of comedy duo. He’s quick, hip, funny and smart. He was on the same film I’ve been hanging around, where he's playing the kiosk attendant, but I don’t know his name or how to contact him. Do you know him? He was wearing size 9 shoes of some kind, maybe. Maybe his name was Rodriguez or Dinsdale. I’m not sure.

2nd Interviewer: "Doug?"

Vercotti: "Doug (takes a drink) Well, I was terrified. Everyone was terrified of Doug. I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug. Even Dinsdale was frightened of Doug".

2nd Interviewer: "What did he do?"

Vercotti: "He used... sarcasm. He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious".

Presenter:"By a combination of violence and sarcasm, the Piranha brothers by February 1966 controlled London and the Southeast of England. It was in February, though, that Dinsdale made a big mistake".

Gloria: "Latterly Dinsdale had become increasingly worried about Spiny Norman. He had come to the conclusion that Norman slept in an aeroplane hangar at Luton Airport".

Presenter: "And so on Feb 22nd 1966, Dinsdale blew up Luton. (shot of a H-Bomb exploding) Even the police began to sit up and take notice”. From Monty Python’s skit the Pirhana Brothers via Mark Steyn.

Yep, there certainly is so much to keep up with. There’s the vacuous fraud of Obama, the international creep resort and prison of Cuba, the prevalence of the superficial and logical fallacy, as a general er, compus operandi, and there's still a lot of cheese as yet untasted. Then there are so many good things like literature, film and nudity. So much to do and so little time to waste.

Finally, I have a few days off and I just feel like contemplating the meaninglessness of the void. Ok. I’m a Christian libertarian, conservative, cosmopolitan inner-city, guitar slinging, alleged writer comedian weirdo anonymity. And man, I don’t want to be wrong and miss out on the empirical to the contrary, so I have to read and research, when I could just as happily drift in a dune lost beach house…well, at least for awhile.

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see”. Arthur Schopenhauer.

And that’s the scene. A lot of folks on set believed I was somebody. No, really. They believed it and thus it was true. The script supervisor said I was good actor and so did all those nice kids hangin’ around. Sadly, I had to demure regards the naughty relationship side.

Colonel Neville to nubile darling: "Ok. You’re whut? Nineteen years old? Ok. That’ll work out just great. Maybe call me in about another nineteen years, and you can push me down to the local pond in my bath chair and we’ll feed the ducks. Just remember to cover my legs with the chequered blanket. Oh, yeah, I’ll love those ducks by then, and oatmeal".

“It seems fair to say that the American view in becoming a minority one in the world. Canada is part of what appears to be a growing global consensus, which observes that careful restrictions of some forms of speech are both desirable and necessary”. John traitorous ass hat Kerry.

“It just goes to show, even when you have no idea you're committing a hate crime, chances are you still are”. Mark Steyn.

A movie set, eh? Now there’s a true beyond mere multicultural scene where we all have a lot of common ground. Lovely African girls and boys, Brazilians, white girls and boys and Italians, Americans, Japanese and a Serb etcetera, etcetera, and maybe even a Martian too. Racism, as they say, is a pointless joke without the laughs.

And all the people are groovy and beautiful because we mostly all dig the process, the art, the purpose and the laughs. Oh man, I love a movie set and would stay there forever or three months. Whichever comes first. It is, as they say, much fun and somehow quite elegiac. Just focus, care about why you are there, follow instructions, and act great. I was the last one to leave the car park, all alone in the dark, but happy, as I’m going back.

Back into the illumination and ambiguous smoke of being even a tiny part of making a film, or a record or anything expressive, creative and entertaining.

Hey, you can do just about anything, but the arts, the successful ones, top them all in getting people’s attention. And I do feel different. And some things must come through er, now. It’s that and the paradigm shift of action, expectations, theory becoming fact and the response of people you dig. It is after all, the space in between where the music moves. Within the nuanced is where the most resonant burns brightest and it’s always right now, always.

No comments: